Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Waiter Rant

If you eat in restaurants, you will be amused and/or horrified by Waiter Rant. In this blog, the unnamed waiter posts horror stories (i.e. rants) about his mostly ghastly experiences waiting tables at "Café Machiavelli" in an unnamed city.


Here's the beginning of Leave Home Without It


The quartet of chattering yuppies on table 24 have finished dessert and ask for their check. They’ve been running me ragged all night with special requests, menu substitutions, and water refills for glasses three quarters full. I’m glad they’re leaving.
“Here you are, sir,” I say, laying the check presenter on the table. “It’s been a pleasure serving you this evening.”
“Don’t go anywhere,” the host, a balding man wearing black framed designer glasses, says imperiously. “I’ll give you my card right now.”
The man pulls his wallet out of his breast pocket, peruses the dozen or so credit cards it contains, selects an American Express Platinum Card, and puts it on the table. Crap.
“I’m terribly sorry, sir,” I say. “We don’t take American Express.”
“What?” the host gasps. “Why not?”
“I’m sorry, sir. It’s the restaurant’s policy.”
“That’s ridiculous!” the man says. “What would happen if I didn’t have another credit card?”



The posts are all well-written and funny. As a restaurant patron, they're thought provoking as well. Why are so many customers assholes?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great website! I swear, I think everyone should wait tables for at least one week out of their lives. They'd appreciate waiters and waitresses so much more, and they'd leave much better tips.