Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Couch Potato Fashion

Continuing in yesterday's fashion vein ...


Watching TV and critiquing other peoples' fashion: what could be better? I love watching What Not to Wear (Fridays at 9 p.m. Eastern) on TLC. Based on the nominations of friends and family, the show's hosts, Stacy London and Clinton Kelly, ambush a poorly dressed victim and tell them what's wrong with their wardrobe. Stacy and Clinton then present the "contributor" (that's what they call her - it's almost always a she) with $5,000, whisk her off to New York, teach her about fashion, and send her off to Manhattan's chic boutiques to go shopping. Pick me! Pick me! I look terrible! I want to go! A free trip to New York City. Are you kidding me?


The thing I really, really love about this show is that the contributor usually is fairly unhappy with herself at the beginning, and is almost always thrilled with herself at the end. Sometimes Clinton and Stacy do have to use a "tough love" approach on some of the contributors who say things like "but I've had it since high school" or the dreaded "but it's comfortable!" Note to self: if you're ever on What Not to Wear, do NOT under any circumstances defend your outfit by calling it "comfortable." Stacy will just laugh at you, especially if the item in question is shoes.

My favorite part of the show is the last 20 minutes or so, when the contributor gets a beauty makeover. It's always astonishing. Hairstylist Nick Arrojo and Makeup Artist Carmindy perform absolute miracles, provided the contributor gives them free rein and is open-minded to the process. Occasionally a contributor won't let Nick cut her hair and the results, in my opinion, are always the poorer for it. If I were in the chair I'd say, "Do what ever you think looks great, you're the expensive big city stylist!" How often do you get a chance like that - for free?

The end of the show is always the contributor modeling her new outfits. They're always giddy with their own fabulousness. It's uplifting and great fun to watch.

No comments: